Great Thai Food in Phuket Town
Chom Chan is an excellent Thai restaurant serving a great selection of Phuket dishes and local specialities. It’s a cosy small house with a garden that is almost hidden on the outskirts of Phuket Town and can easily be missed when driving by.
Chom Chan received a ‘Bib Gourmand’ rating in the Phuket Michelin Guide. ‘Bib Gourmand’ means ‘friendly establishments that serve good food at moderate prices.’
Despite being hard to find, Chom Chan is not unknown to people living in Phuket. First, it received a BIB mention from the new Michelin Guide and its sister restaurant One Chun in the historical centre of Old Phuket Town, by the same owner Napapatch Chetsadawal, is extremely popular.
The atmosphere at Chom Chan is, however, completely different from One Chun. Where One Chun is buzzing with a permanent crowd of tourists (lots of Thai tourists actually), Chom Chan is more quiet and discreet, addressing to locals families who know where to find great and spicy Thai food.
What to Order
The food is excellent and the menu extensive (but not illustrated at all, unfortunately, so you better show the staff what you want to order from our page. The dishes served are mostly from Phuket, and without compromise. If you feel adventurous, try Gaeng Som or Jungle curry, some of the most loved Phuket dish that tastes strong and is so spicy it can take your breath away.
So if you can eat spicy food, this is your chance to sample something really local. Of course, all the classic Thai dishes are on the menu, but the point of travelling is to experience local life, and food plays a very big part in Thailand.
See the photos and descriptions below to help you order some of the many excellent dishes we tried that day:
- Tod Man Goong ทอดมันกุ้ง (Deep fried shrimp cakes),
- Gang Prik Kradook Moo Kha On แกงพริกกระดูกหมูข่าอ่อน (Spicy Curry with Pork Ribs and Young Galangal),
- Goong Pad Prik Klua กุ้งผัดพริกเกลือ (Salt and Chilli Shrimp),
- Nam Prik Kai Poo น้ำพริกไข่ปู (Crab egg chilli dip with veggies),
- Gaeng Som Pla Sai Shone Yod Maprao แกงส้มปลาทรายโชนยอดมะพร้าว (A sour and spicy type of curry soup with sandfish and coconut shoot and local vegetable),
- Peak Gai Tod ปีกไก่ทอด (Deep fried chicken wings),
- Yum Gan Kana ย้ำก้านคะน้า (Thai Chinese Kale with Prawn Salad),
- Pad Pak Miang Kai Goong Siab ผักผักเหมียงไข่กุ้งเสียบ (Local vegetable leaves with dried shrimps).
Overall the experience was very enjoyable, the food delicious and well priced, and the staff very friendly and helpful.
Location: Phuket Town
Address: 242/2 Yaowarat Rd, Tambon Talat Yai, Amphoe Mueang Phuket, Chang Wat Phuket 83000
Open: 10 am – 10 pm
Phone: 076 605 954
Chom Chan Map
More restaurants in Phuket Town
You may also like