Where to learn Thai Cooking in Phuket?
- Where to learn Thai Cooking in Phuket?
- 1. Blue Elephant Cooking Class
- 2. Phuket Thai Cooking Academy
- 3. Phuket Thai Cooking Class by VJ
- 4. Positive Kitchen by Chef Noi
- 5. Moo’s Kitchen at The Slate
- 6. Kata Thai Cooking Class by Sally
- 7. Phuket Easy Thai Cooking
- 8. Phuket Thai Cookery
- 9. BrassWok Thai Cooking Studio
- 10. B’s Thai Cooking Class
- 11. Pum Thai Cooking School
- 12. Organic Thai Cooking School
A Cooking Class is the best way to learn how to cook Thai food while in Phuket. And it’s perfect for a rainy day or just as a fun thing to do on holiday with family or friends. Enjoying delicious Thai cuisine is a big highlight of travelling to Phuket, and if you learn the secrets of Thai cooking from a local expert chef, you’ll be able to impress your friends and family with your culinary creations back home.
Here are 12 Cooking Classes in Phuket that’ll help set you on your way as a Thai food master in no time.
1. Blue Elephant Cooking Class
Set in a century-old Sino-Portuguese mansion in Phuket Old Town, this Thai cookery class at Blue Elephant restaurant is also an immersion into Phuket’s history and culture. The course includes a walk to a local market to find the fruits, vegetables and herbs that will go into the dishes you make, such as green curry with chicken and beef satay. This restored former Governor’s mansion is an impressively regal place to do your cooking, and you’ll be able to relax in the dining room afterwards to try all the dishes you’ve made.
- Half-day, 4 dishes: 3,296 baht
Blue Elephant Phuket Contacts
- Location: 96 Krabi Road, Phuket Town, Phuket 83000
- Phone: 076 354 355-7
2. Phuket Thai Cooking Academy
This cooking class is a bit off the beaten path, found near Kathu Waterfall in a quiet residential area between Patong Beach and Phuket Town. Half-day and full-day classes are available in English, Thai or Chinese for all culinary skill levels. In addition to learning to make dishes such as pad thai, som tam or tom yum goong, you’ll be taught some fundamental techniques in Thai cuisine like making coconut milk and curry pastes. Classes include a visit to a local market and free return-trip transport from Patong, Kathu, Kata, Kamala and Phuket Town. Vegetarian classes are also available.
- Half-day, 5 dishes: 2,200 baht
- Full-day, 10 dishes and waterfall visit: 3,200 baht
Phuket Thai Cooking Academy Contacts
- Location: 81/23 Soi Chang, Kathu, Phuket, Thailand 83120
- Phone: 092 962 6076
3. Phuket Thai Cooking Class by VJ
At this cooking school in Kata Beach, you’ll have the chance to learn 3 dishes in a 3-hour class that also includes tips on making curry paste with a mortar and pestle. Morning classes include a market tour. Lessons are in English and can be tailored to suit dietary requests like vegan or gluten-free dishes. Children are also welcome to try the class. Kids aged 10 and up are given their own cooking station, while younger kids can learn for free. Free transport is available if you’re staying in Kata, Karon, Patong or near Chalong Circle.
- Morning class with market tour, 3 dishes: 1,800 baht
- Afternoon class, 3 dishes: 1,600 baht
Phuket Thai Cooking Class by VJ Contacts
- Phone: 081 710 5250
- Location: 83/1 Moo 2, Patak Soi 5, Patak Road, Kata Beach, Phuket 83100
4. Positive Kitchen by Chef Noi
This cooking class is taught by Chef Noi, owner of the popular Suay Restaurant and former contestant on the “Iron Chef Thailand” TV show. His restaurant’s known for its fusion-Thai cuisine so here you’ll have a chance to make some more unique dishes like “tuna tartare Thai style” or “tom yum lobster bisque”. There’s a good amount of time dedicated to learning presentation techniques, great for those who hope to show off their newly-learned dishes like a pro. Private classes and professional-level courses are also available.
- Half day class, 3 dishes: 3,000 baht
Positive Kitchen Contacts
- Location: Perm Trub Villa, 19/168 Moo 7, Srisuntorn Road, Cherng Talay, Phuket 83110
- Phone: 081 797 4135
5. Moo’s Kitchen at The Slate
Nai Yang Beach
The stylish Slate resort at Nai Yang Beach has built a dedicated culinary classroom called Moo’s Kitchen where half-day and full-day courses are available. The full day course starts with a visit to a nearby market with the chef where you’ll learn about all the fresh herbs, spices and vegetables used in Thai cooking. Students have the chance to prepare such dishes such as kaprao moo (spicy pork and basil stirfry), tom yum (spicy seafood soup) and crispy fried prawn and chapu leaves, and there’s time enough to sit down together and try all the food at the end of the class.
- Full-day “Food Pilgrimage”, 6 hours, 3,530 baht
- Half-day “Cook and Chow”, 3 hours, 2,120 baht
Moo’s Kitchen Contacts
- Location: The Slate resort, Nai Yang Beach, 116 Moo 1, Sakhu, Thalang, Phuket 83110
- Phone: 081 591 4594
6. Kata Thai Cooking Class by Sally
Found near Kata Beach, this class offers a choice of a quicker morning class or an afternoon class with a market tour. You’ll learn how to make 3 dishes and a curry paste, with different dishes made on different days. On Tuesdays, for example, students make som tum, Thai fried rice, spring rolls and green curry. Best to check the class schedule before booking to make sure at least a few of your favourites are in there. The price includes free transport from some areas, and kids under 9 years old can join for free.
- Lunch class, 3 hours: 2,000 baht
- Dinner class with market trip, 4 hours: 2,300 baht
Kata Thai Cooking Class by Sally Contacts
- Location: 1/4 Patak Road, Karon, Muang, Phuket 83100
- Phone: 091 954 5563, 094 151 9646
7. Phuket Easy Thai Cooking
This friendly cooking course in Rawai offers half- and full-day courses for small groups of up to 10. The class starts with a trip to a local market to shop for fresh ingredients, then you’ll have a busy time making at least three main dishes, curry paste and a dessert. The full-day class also includes a lesson on making coconut milk and coconut oil. Ingredients used are Halal, and vegetarian dishes can be made by request. The class includes transport from some locations, or taxi service could be arranged for an extra charge if it’s outside their usual pick-up areas.
- Half day, 3-4 hours: 2,200 baht
- Full day, 7-8 hours: 3,200 baht
Phuket Easy Thai Cooking Contacts
- Location: 51/6 Moo 4 Soi Madsayid, Viset Road, Rawai, Muang, Phuket 83130
- Phone: 088 765 9731, 089 693 0876
8. Phuket Thai Cookery
This is a popular class not only for its fun and informative lessons but for the fabulous sea views to enjoy while you cook. Set on the beachfront in Koh Siray east of Phuket Town, Phuket Thai Cookery courses each include a trip to a local market, cooking 4 dishes plus a dessert, and either a fruit carving or curry paste making lesson. Check the school’s schedule to see which dishes are being prepared each day, with choices including gai hor bai teoy (chicken in pandanus leaves) and tom yum goong (spicy prawn soup). Free round-trip transport is available from selected areas.
- 4 main dishes and market tour: 2,900 baht
Phuket Thai Cookery Contacts
- Location: Koh Siray, 39/4 Thepatan Road, Rassada, Muang, Phuket 83000
- Phone: 082 474 6592; 098 196 6393; 099 298 5636
9. BrassWok Thai Cooking Studio
Taught by the affable and skilled Chef Pui, this cooking course focuses on private lessons and small groups of up to 6 students. There’s a choice of doing a cooking-only class making 4 or 5 dishes or a lesson that includes a visit to a local fresh market. If wish to cook vegetarian meals or have gluten-free or other dietary requirements, they’ll tailor the class to your needs. Free pick-up service is offered from the Kamala, Surin, Bang Tao and Laguna Phuket areas for those taking the market tour class.
- Cooking only class, 3 hours: 3,000 baht
- Cooking class with market tour, 4 hours: 3,900 baht
BrassWok Thai Cooking Studio Contacts
- Location: 149/12 Moo 4, Srisoonthorn, Thalang, Phuket 83110
- Phone: 087 620 8371
10. B’s Thai Cooking Class
B’s Thai Cooking class involves a visit to a fresh market before preparing 4 dishes and learning some fruit carving and coconut milk making. Students have about 15 dishes to choose from including the always-popular pad Thai and som tam (papaya salad). Class sizes are limited to 6 people maximum and the cooking is done in Chef Bee’s open-air kitchen in the Kathu area. Those who have tried the class have praised Chef Bee for her light-hearted, patient and attentive style of teaching.
- Half day with market tour: 1,800 baht
B’s Thai Cooking Class Contacts
- Location: 114/81 Moo 1, Kathu, Phuket 83120
- Phone: 098 079 5369
11. Pum Thai Cooking School
Khun Pum is a bubbly and busy chef, who runs three daily classes from her restaurant in Patong Beach ranging from a quick 1-dish lesson of only 30 minutes to a full day “grand chef” course. They promise to show how to be “lazy in the kitchen” where students are taught the easy ways to make Thai dishes. Class size is kept small and students have more than 40 dishes to choose from including curries, soups, noodles and stir-fries. If you miss out on Pum’s Patong Beach class, she has another cooking school on Phi Phi island.
- Pum’s Little Lipstick, 3 dishes, 90 minutes: 1,100 baht
- Pum’s Little Pigtails, 5 dishes and market tour, 5 hours: 3,500 baht
Pum Thai Cooking School Contacts
- Location: 204/32 Rat-u-thit 200 Pi Road, Patong Beach, Phuket 83150
- Phone: 076 346 269
12. Organic Thai Cooking School
This is a fun and intimate course run out of the home of a local Thai chef in Rawai, with a maximum of 6 students per class. Organic ingredients are used as much as possible (though not always 100% possible in Thailand) and the class includes a market tour and a wander around the chef’s leafy-green organic garden. They offer a choice of many dishes you could try to master including tom kha gai (chicken coconut soup with galangal), laab moo (spicy pork salad) and several vegetarian choices. Free transport is available from some locations.
- Three-dish class, 1,450 baht
- Five-dish class, 2,400 baht
Organic Thai Cooking School Contacts
- Location: 76/3 Moo 2, Rawai, Phuket, 83100
- Phone: 076 288 258, 089 970 1797
Written in association with GoPhuket.net