Try Some Phuket Special Dishes
What Phuket dishes should you try and where to find them? We already share our Best 10 Local Restaurants and 10 Best Classic Thai Dishes, so here are 10 really local dishes (or their popular Phuket variation). To make it easy for you, most of these specialities are around the intersection of Dibuk Road and Yaowarat Road, mainly at Lock Tien Food Court. There are many other places in town where those specialities can be found, but we tried to facilitate your experience: as you probably will explore Thalang road and surroundings, you will be very near the ‘Phuket delicacy street’, so give it a try.
1. Por Pia
- 30 baht
- Lock Tien Restaurant (See #5 on map)
2. Mee Hokkien
- 40 baht per plate
- Lock Tien Restaurant,
- Kopitiam by Wilai
- Mee Ton Pho by the Clock circle. (See #3 on map)
- Ko Yoon Restaurant at the Fountain Circle (not far from city market)
3. Bee Hoon Kra Dook Moo
Dry vermicelli served with fried shallots, and spring onion served with a clear soup and pork ribs. Excellent.
- 30 baht
- Lock Tien Restaurant, at the intersection of Yaowarat Road and Dibuk Road.
A deep-fried Phuket sausage made from pork and taro served with a sweet sauce. Kiean is the item you can see in the back of the photo!
- 50 baht
- Lock Tien Restaurant.
5. Lo Ba
Deep-fried Pork giblets: intestines, ears and fat belly also served with sweet brown sauce. Great with beer, but not great for your diet. Lo-Ba is the bit at the front of the photo.
- 80 baht
- Lock Tien Restaurant
Rice Noodle served with the curry of your choice. Then it’s up to you to add condiments, fresh or marinated veggies, thinly sliced banana leave, morning glory, etc. Delicious for breakfast, best with local coffee or milk tea. Read more
- 25 baht per plate
- Mae Ting, at the intersection of Maeluang and Satun Road, (see map #9)
- Kanom Jeen Saphan Hin
7. Homok Talay
A delicious spicy curry fish mousse steamed in a Bai Cha-Ploo leave (Piper sarmentosum Roxd if you ask!), itself wrapped in banana leave. A must-try, but be aware, it might come spicy and occasionally with a strong fishy taste!
- Ranges from 15 baht in very local shops, all the way to 80 in some more sophisticated places
- Almost any seafood restaurant serves it. Kan Eang @ Pier is an excellent place to try it.
Jelly made from banana with shaved ice and syrup. Excellent to cool down the heat AND after the spicy dishes mentioned above!
- ±12 baht
- Lock Tien Restaurant, but also shops and carts around.
9. Tao Sor
Small cakes stuffed with a choice of ingredients: Sweet with preserved egg, salty with preserved egg, black sesame, pandanus flavour or for the brave: durian flavour.
- 40 baht
- Opposite Lock Tien Restaurant
10. O Taw
Stir-fried small oysters with flour, crispy pork and taro. (Photo from Khun Praew!)
- Yao Yentafo, not far from Ko Benz Restaurant (#1 on map)
Phuket Specialities Map