About Hern restaurant
Hern Coffee and Bistro is a new cool and well designed Thai restaurant on the beachfront of Patong. The location in front of the well-known Baan Lamai hotel is very convenient, making it a great place to enjoy a dinner with a good atmosphere at walking distance from Bangla Walking Street. If you plan to party tonight, this is a good place to enjoy great food because everyone knows that party is better with a full and happy stomach.
We went there without many expectations because the food in Patong is more often a miss than a hit. Most travellers are new to Thailand so they might not realize that too many restaurants are not as good as reviews say. So we saw the reviews of Hern and decided we had to try it anyway. As we approached the restaurant, we were surprised by the design. They did make an effort and while the room is vast, it is still cosy with an intelligent lighting
What to order?
The menu is extensive and everyone should find something to trigger their appetite, international or Thai. The Thai dishes are more expensive than in locals restaurants, staring at 280 baht but you can see that ingredients and of high quality, especially the seafood.
- Phad Mee Hokkien (‘Phuket Style’ fried yellow noodles with seafood) 280 baht
- Phad Thai Goong (Stir-fried rice noodles in tamarind sauce with jumbo river prawn) 550 baht
- Phad Se-Ew Gai (Fried noodles with chicken in dark soya sauce) 280 baht
- Tom Kha Gai (Coconut chicken soup with galangal, and mushrooms served with jasmine rice) 280 baht
- Tom Yum Goong (Spicy river prawn soup with lemongrass. Served with steamed jasmine rice) 550 baht
- Pha-Nang Gai (Stir-fried chicken in Pha-Neang curry. Served with steamed jasmine rice) 280 baht
We allow ourself to a superb Phad Thai Goong (Stir-fried rice noodles in tamarind sauce with jumbo river prawn) for 550 Baht. This dish is more expensive than others but just look at the size of the prawn. The dish was superb.
Hern also serves a good range of breakfast sets, all at 280 baht: Egg Omelette with bacon and mushrooms, French toasts with crispy bacon and maple syrup, Egg Benedict on English muffin with bacon and smoked salmon… and more
The service was surprisingly good, and it was a pleasure to be treated a little special without being overly formal. Yes, prices are higher than small restaurants in the streets nearby, but it is nice to treat yourself once in a while to a nicer place. You deserve it!
Hern Coffee and Bistro Info
Location: Patong Beach
Address: 66 Thaweewong Rd, Pa Tong, Kathu District, Phuket 83150
Hours: 8 am – 11 pm
Phone: 076 344 135
Price: a bit high