What Are the Best Muay Thai Gyms in Phuket?
- What Are the Best Muay Thai Gyms in Phuket?
- 1. Sumalee Boxing Gym
- 2. Sinbi Muay Thai Training Camp
- 3. Tiger Muay Thai and MMA Training Camp
- 4. Sitsongpeenong Muay Thai Camp Phuket
- 5. AKA Thailand
- 6. Kingka Muay Thai Camp
- 7. Absolute MMA Thailand
- 8. Phuket Top Team Muay Thai & MMA Training Camp
- 9. Suwit Muay Thai Camp
- 10. Rattachai Muay Thai Gym
- You may also like
Several Muay Thai training camps have opened in Phuket, with thousands of people now arriving to the island every year to learn this ancient martial art form and get fit while enjoying some beach time.
Muay Thai kickboxing has been practised in Thailand for centuries, and over the past decade, it’s become a world-famous sport along with the explosion of mixed martial arts (MMA).
Each Muay Thai camp is a bit different in focus and offerings, but most have weekly and monthly programmes and the chance for intensive training sessions with champion Muay Thai boxers. If you’re not sure which Phuket Muay Thai gym is best for you, then try one class or get a day pass to get a feel of the place before committing to a full training programme.
Here are some of the top Muay Thai camps in Phuket that’ll get you into fighting shape, some of which also do MMA and other fitness training.
Sumalee is the only gym offering an holistic approach to Muay Thai training by incorporating optional yoga and nutritional programs. Sumalee offers a more individualised training experience, away from the crowds.
The facilities at Sumalee include a range of accommodation from basic shared rooms through to luxurious suite rooms which give more comfort and space (all have air conditioning and an excellent wifi service). The suite rooms are great for small families and for those wishing to combine their training with work commitments.
The Muay Thai gym area is fully equipped by their sponsors Sandee, Thailand as well as Ultim8 Fightwear, Hong Kong. Other facilities include: a healthy food restaurant: coffee shop and crêperie; on site swimming pool, Balinese style yoga shala, massage shala, and equipment shop. Sumalee caters for all levels of fitness and experience for the ultimate training experience.
- Single class, 2 hours: 500 baht
- Monthly Muay Thai training, 2 classes per day with pool: 13,000 baht
- Standard monthly training package: 28,800 baht including twin shared accommodation
Sumalee Boxing Gym Contacts
- Phone: 088 017 3018
- Location: 234 Moo 3, Soi Hua Tha, Sri Sunthon Road, Thalang, Phuket 83110
- Contact: https://www.facebook.com/SumaleeBoxingGym/
- Website: sumaleeboxinggym.com
2. Sinbi Muay Thai Training Camp
Founded by champion Muay Thai boxer Khun Sing, Sinbi Muay Thai has a large open-air training centre with 3 full-size rings and an equipped gym. Classes are open to anyone from beginners to professional fighters, with training customised to your skill level. Each class includes some shadow boxing, pad work, bag work, clinching and sparring plus technique work closely watched by the trainers.
There’s also a Muay Thai gear shop on site, and they have apartments for rent a short distance away. Sinbi’s great if you want to enjoy a beach holiday with your Muay Thai training, located just a 10-minute drive away from Nai Harn and Rawai beaches.
- Single class: 2 hours: 500 baht
- One-on-one training: 800 baht per hour
- Monthly Muay Thai training: 12,000 baht
Sinbi Muay Thai Contacts
- Phone: 083 391 5535
- Location: 100/15 Moo 7, Saiyuan Road, Rawai, Muang, Phuket 83100
- Contact: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sinbi-Muay-Thai-Training-Camp-Phuket-Thailand/121969431209423
3. Tiger Muay Thai and MMA Training Camp
Tiger is Phuket’s biggest and most widely known Muay Thai camp. Since Tiger opened in 2003 on Soi Ta-iad in Chalong, it’s grown rapidly, and it’s led the transformation of “The Soi” from an unknown rural area with rubber tree plantations to a thriving hub for Muay Thai and fitness enthusiasts, packed with training camps, hotels, shops and restaurants. You’ll see a wide range of people training at Tiger, from complete newbies looking to get into shape to UFC champions.
The camp also offers MMA training and has more than 20 different types of classes including CrossFit, yoga and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in addition to Muay Thai sessions for beginner to advanced levels. Tiger continues to grow, having now opened another training centre called Tiger Muay Thai Beachside at Parlai Beach in Chalong, near Mor Mudong restaurant.
- Single class, 2.5 hours: 500 baht
- Day pass with access to all classes and facilities: 900 baht
- Monthly Muay Thai and MMA training: 14,000 baht
Tiger Muay Thai Contacts
- Phone: 076 367 071
- Location: 7/35 Moo 5, Soi Ta-iad, Chalong, Muang, Phuket 83130
- Contact: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiger-Muay-Thai-MMA-Training-Camp-Phuket-Thailand/87650205356
4. Sitsongpeenong Muay Thai Camp Phuket
Sitsongpeenong is a well-known name in the Muay Thai scene, with its Bangkok training camp turning out skilled fighters for years before it expanded to Phuket. The Phuket branch is another camp ideal for those wanting to mix training with a beach escape, with beautiful Surin Beach just 400 metres away. They offer classes and one-on-one training in Muay Thai as well as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Mx fitness training, yoga and Western boxing.
Class sizes are kept small to ensure a more personal style of training. Sitsongpeenong also has rental rooms on site and nearby, with monthly packages including accommodation.
- Standard monthly package: 25,000 baht including twin share accommodation and 2 daily training sessions
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/MX Fit pass, 10 classes: 4,000 baht
- Phone: 087 276 5024
- Location: 72/46 Moo 3, Cherng Talay, Thalang, Phuket 83110
- Contact: http://sitsongpeenong.com/muay-thai/phuket/
5. AKA Thailand
AKA Thailand in Phuket is an offshoot of the original AKA in the US, a top centre for MMA training founded by American kickboxing champion Javier Mendez. The Phuket branch is run by former UFC fighter Mike Swick, with a modern, well-equipped facility in Rawai and a range of classes including Muay Thai, MMA fundamentals, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and yoga. Though many champion-level fighters come here to train, AKA also welcomes beginners and anyone looking to get fit.
There’s no accommodation on site, but AKA offers packages that include training and accommodation at nearby hotels or guest houses.
- Single class, 2 hours: 600 baht
- Martial arts training, 1 month: 12,650 baht
- Standard travel package, monthly: 40,000 baht including training, motorbike rental, airport transfer, accommodation and some t-shirts and training gear
AKA Thailand Contacts
- Phone: 076 604 004
- Location: 47/31-32 Moo 4, Soi Sermsuk, Viset Road, Rawai, Muang, Phuket 83100
- Contact: http://facebook.com/AKAThailandGym
6. Kingka Muay Thai Camp
This small camp is found in a quiet setting in Rawai with a gym, shared accommodation and bungalows on site. Opened by skilled trainers formerly of Supa and Rawai Muay Thai camps, this is a great place to go if you’re keen to home in on Muay Thai training only.
Each trainer brings decades of experience and a different style of boxing. Head trainer Khun Keh is focused on a high-low strategy of fast, strong boxing mixed with low kicks, while Khun Kouprey, a former Olympic contender, teaches boxing techniques. They also offer training for kids.
- Single class, 2 hours: 300 baht
- Weekly, 2 classes per day: 3,000 baht
- Monthly, 2 classes per day: 10,000 baht
Kingka Muay Thai Contacts
- Phone: 076 226 495
- Location: 43/42 Moo 7, Viset Road, Rawai, Muang, Phuket 83100
- Contact: https://www.facebook.com/KingkaMuayThai/
7. Absolute MMA Thailand
As its name suggests, MMA is a big focus at this training camp in Rawai, with a mix of Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ), boxing, wrestling, strength and fitness classes on offer. Absolute MMA’s trainers come from a broad range of martial arts backgrounds including MMA and Muay Thai champions.
The camp has 2 boxing rings and a full-sized MMA cage, plus on-site accommodation. They also bring in special guest trainers for intensive weeks of training in Jiu-Jitsu and more, so be sure to check their schedule if you’re looking to learn more specialised techniques from a top-level fighter.
- Single class, 2 hours: 600 baht
- Monthly training: 12,000 baht
- Monthly training package: 24,000 baht including bungalow accommodation on site
Absolute MMA Thailand Contacts
- Phone: 090 925 6109
- Location: 81/49 Moo 7, Soi Samakee 2, Sai Yuan Road, Rawai, Muang, Phuket 83100
- Contact: https://www.facebook.com/AbsoluteMMAThailand/
8. Phuket Top Team Muay Thai & MMA Training Camp
Phuket Top Team is found on Soi Ta-iad in Chalong in the heart of Phuket’s Muay Thai/MMA training scene. The camp is focused on advanced training, but even beginners can join as long as they’re willing to put in the work.
In addition to Muay Thai, they offer training in western boxing, strength and conditioning, BJJ, TRX, submission grappling and wrestling in open-air and air-conditioned training areas including an indoor MMA cage. Classes are kept relatively small, and though they’re challenging, the camp’s “no ego” policy makes everyone feel welcome.
- Single class, 2 hours: 500 baht
- Private training, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: 3,000 baht
- Monthly training, all classes: 11,400 baht
Phuket Top Team Contacts
- Phone: 076 367 567
- Location: 45/31 Moo 1, Soi Ta-iad, Chalong, Muang, Phuket 83100
- Contact: https://www.facebook.com/phukettopteam/
9. Suwit Muay Thai Camp
Open for more than 25 years, Suwit is said to be the first Muay Thai camp in Phuket, and many of its students have gone on to fight around Thailand and internationally. The trainers are all highly experienced, and the camp in Chalong has a gym, boxing rings and accommodation.
Anyone is welcome to come and train here, whether you’re just wanting to lose some weight and shape up or hoping to fight competitively. Suwit’s weekly Friday night fights are exciting to come and watch even if you’re not training here. Suwit’s prices are a great value, whether you stay on site or not.
- Single class, 2 hours: 500 baht
- Monthly training: 9,000 baht
- Monthly training with room rental: 11,000 baht for a fan room, 14,500 baht for air-con
Suwit Muay Thai Contacts
- Phone: 081 737 6072
- Location: 15 E Chao Fa Road, Chalong, Phuket 83130
- Contact: http://www.suwitmuaythai.com/
10. Rattachai Muay Thai Gym
Rattachai is a Muay Thai training camp owned by Khun Nai, a three-time Lumpinee Stadium champion. Found near the popular Muay Thai soi in Chalong, the camp offers group classes twice a day as well as private training.
It’s known to be a friendly place that welcomes all skill levels, but they also push hard so expect to put in some sweaty sessions. Though the camp doesn’t have its own accommodation, there are training packages available that include room bookings at nearby resorts.
- Single class, 2 hours: 400 baht
- Private lessons: 700 baht per hour
- Monthly Muay Thai training: 10,000 baht
Rattachai Muay Thai Gym Contacts
- Phone: 076 626 706
- Location: 49/3 Soi Luang Pho Chaem, Chalong, Muang, Phuket 83000
- Contact: https://www.facebook.com/rattachaimuaythai/
You may also like
Written in association with GoPhuket.net