7 Buddha Postures for the 7 Days of the Week
- 7 Buddha Postures for the 7 Days of the Week
- Sunday “Seven Days Looking” – Pang Thawai Net
- Monday “Pacifying the Relatives” – Pang Ham Yati
- Tuesday “Realizing Nirvana” – Pang Sai Yat
- Wednesday Pang Umbat
- Thursday “The Meditating Buddha” – Pang Samti
- Friday “Contemplating Buddha” – Pang Ram Pueng
- Saturday “Protected by the Naga King” – Pang Nak Prok
If you have been to a temple (or ‘Wat’) in Thailand, you might have noticed that the Buddha appears in standing, sitting or reclining postures. In some you will even see seven (sometimes eight) statues of Buddha aligned next to each other, often with a donation cup in front of it.
So what does it mean? Many people see them without really knowing what these images mean or are for. Each of them is for a day of the week, and you would pay respect to the statue representing the day you were born. There are of course a lot more than seven postures of Buddha and while we were researching we found different versions and explanations.
“Seven Days Looking” – Pang Thawai Net
Buddha obtained enlightenment while sitting under a Bodhi tree (a large and very old Sacred Fig tree located in Bodh Gaya, about 100 km from Patna in the Indian state of Bihar). The image represents a time just after Buddha obtained enlightenment when, for gratitude, he stood and admired a bodhi tree for one week without blinking an eye.
- If you were born this day: You are respectable, wise, loved by friends and family, likely to be in a professional occupation.
- Your lucky day is Wednesday
- Your unlucky day is Friday
- Your lucky colour is green
- Your unlucky colour is blue
“Pacifying the Relatives” – Pang Ham Yati
When Buddha returned from heaven after three months, his relatives were arguing about the rights to water flowing through their land. Buddha persuaded them to compromise.
- If you were born this day: You are serious with a good memory and a love of travel, likely to be in a skilled occupation whose lucky day is Saturday and lucky colour is black
- Your unlucky day is Sunday
- Your unlucky colour is orange
“Realizing Nirvana” – Pang Sai Yat
He was so gigantic and didn’t pay respect to the Lord Buddha. So the Lord Buddha made himself bigger than the evil, in reclining position as to lower the pride of Asura Rahu. Seeing so, the evil succumbed and agreed to accept the teaching of the Lord Buddha.
- If you were born this day: You are serious, brave and active most probably in the services
- Your lucky day is Thursday
- Your unlucky day is Monday
- Your lucky colour is yellow
- Your unlucky colour is white
In the early morning, monks make their alms rounds to collect food. Buddha did the same and his father was appalled that Buddha was “begging” for food. Buddha calmed his father informing him that the lineage of Buddhas was to perform ‘Pindabat’ to be available to followers who devotedly bring food.
- If you were born on the morning of this day: You are polite, artistic and emotional, most likely working creatively. Wednesday night is your lucky time and lucky color is green. your unlucky day is Tuesday and unlucky color is pink.
- If you were born on the evening of this day: You are hard working and honest, likely to be employed in a profession with the lucky day of Monday and the color white
- Your unlucky day is Thursday
- Your unlucky colour is yellow
“The Meditating Buddha” – Pang Samti
The Thursday Buddha image is sitting in a full lotus position with soles upward and visible, the hands resting in the lap, right above left with all fingers extended, palms upward (the dhyani mudra). After receiving bundles of grass from Sotthiya , he scattered it and made it as seat under the Banyan tree.
He made a vow “Skin , sinew and bone may dry up as they will, my flesh and blood may dry in my body, but without attaining completed enlightenment, I will not leave this seat.” With his strong determination, he achieved enlightenment.
- If you were born this day: You are peaceful, calm and honest, likely to be a teacher or in the legal profession
- Your lucky day is Sunday
- Your unlucky day is Saturday
- Your lucky colour is orange
- Your unlucky colour is black
“Contemplating Buddha” – Pang Ram Pueng
The Friday Buddha image is standing with both arms crossed over the chest with the right hand covering the left.A short period after the enlightenment, while the Lord Buddha stayed under the Banyan tree, he stated that it was too difficult for ordinary people to understand dharma and bring it into practices. He was discouraged to teach dharma.
This Dharma that I have found is profound, hard to see, hard to understand; it is peaceful, sublime, beyond the sphere of mere reasoning, subtle, to be experienced by the wise. But this generation takes delight in attachment, is delighted by attachment, rejoices in attachment and as such it is hard for them to see this truth, namely…nirvana. However , with his great mercy and loving – kindness , he clearly understood that living creatures possessed different habits just like nature of a lotus.
- If you were born this day: This person is fun loving, friendly and ambitious, probably an entertainer or public figure
- Your lucky day is Tuesday and the lucky color is pink
- Your unlucky day is Wednesday night
- Your unlucky color is light green
“Protected by the Naga King” – Pang Nak Prok
This pose represents a time during the sixth week after Siddhartha’s Enlightenment, when the Naga King protected the meditating Buddha against heavy rainfall by making a shelter with his multi-headed hood and lifted him above the flood waters by coiling its body under him.
- If you were born this day: You are calm, logical and a bit of a recluse, very likely engaged in manual work of a skilled nature
- Your lucky day is Friday
- Your unlucky day is Wednesday during the daytime
- Your lucky colour is blue
- Your unlucky colour is green
Click here if you would like to know more about meditation in Thailand