Sunset Restaurant on the Beach in Patong
Update: Joe’s Downstairs will close permanently on March 31st, 2020
Joe’s Downstairs is an upscale bar with a fantastic location on a small rocky beach between Patong Beach and Kalim Beach, one of the best spots to enjoy a sunset with a drink in Phuket. Joe’s Downstairs, which used to be a fancy Japanese restaurant called Otowa, is tucked just between the well-known Baan Rim Pa and Da Maurizio Italian restaurant. Since they are part of the same group, they are equally expensive as you will find out.
The restaurant consists of two distinct areas: a comfortable covered area and a large balcony. The white wooden terrace built on top of the rock gets everyone’s preference so if you want one of the few tables over the beach, you definitely should call early to book (we would even recommend calling the day before)
What to Order
The menu at Joe’s Downstairs includes a long list of international tapas from Chef Aaron Hooper. Tapas fits the sunset mood perfectly and allows you to order according to your budget.
For two persons we had:
- Wagyu Beef ‘Yakitori’ with Sesame Eggplant (495 baht)
- Vietnamese Fresh Noodle Rolls with Prawns
- Fresh Mango, Cucumber and Red Bell Pepper (345 baht)
- Miso Glazed Black Cod with Fresh Mango Salsa and Sesame Cabbage (425 baht)
- Rock Lobster Quesadilla with Monterey Jack Cheese and fresh Tropical Fruit Salsa (565 baht)
- Ahi Tuna Tartar with Ginger Chili Soy on Crispy Wonton Crackers (325 baht)
- Joe’s Spicy Chicken Wings with Lime / Mango Dipping Sauce (325 baht)
- Caiphirina (325 baht) and a Wairiu River wine (435 baht).
We let you calculate the bill! It was painful, but we didn’t regret it.
Come early to enjoy the sunset which usually occurs between 6 and 6.30 pm. You can quickly check the right time by searching ‘Phuket Sunset Time‘ on Google.
The food was good, the cocktails well prepared, the wines excellent (Since Baan Rim Pa is a Wine Spectator award-winning wine cellar). Joe’s Downstairs is a perfect romantic way to end the day if you can afford the steep prices!
Joe’s Downstairs Phuket
Location: Patong Beach
Address: 223/3 Phrabarami Road, Patong Beach, Phuket 83150
Open: Daily 12 am –11 pm
Phone: 063 078 5887